Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Snapshot in Time

Puppies grow so fast. Already Frodo is noticably bigger. One change I noticed is that his coat is even softer and is much glossier. I attribute that to the raw diet he is on now. We are feeding Northwest Naturals Raw Diet, available in frozen cubes from our local pet health food store, and supplementing with our homegrown eggs, organic yogurt and raw liver. When I fed raw before I would alternate these items so they got each one every third day. Wallace and Phoenix are very glad I am back on feeding raw again. Mealtime is even more exciting than before!

I am waiting to hear back from the trainer, but I  am hoping to get Phoenix started in an obedience class starting on Tuesday. It is time to get back into the dog world and I am hoping that this can be our special time to go have fun. I will be training with Mary Rioux-Forker in Tigard and I took classes from her many years ago. She uses food, toys and praise, and I think this is what Phoenix needs. If she enjoys it, I am hoping we could start showing in obedience. I will only do it if it is fun for her, though. 

As for the promised pix, here they are:

Frodo at 10 weeks.














His favorite toy.














Notice his beautiful brindle markings on his cheeks. He will be a handsome boy.














Phoenix is the best babysitter, though as Owner of All the Toys in the World, she tends to steal and stockpile Frodo's toys.














Wallace is too dignified to play with puppies.














Phoenix's eyes can melt the hardest heart.














Wallace loves to rub his belly on the rugs. I wish he wouldn't, but he does.







3 comments:

starrynights said...

Aww! Frodo is looking so handsome. I have noticed shinier coats too with raw feeding already. I had to make a few changes with the girl's menu as Hope was having some trouble with it. For one, I stopped the chicken wings for now and am giving ground turkey instead. Also I am grinding the veggies up too. Hope threw up several times and there was just too many large bone fragments and unchewed veggies for my comfort level. I think she needs to be older (and therefore bigger) for crunching bones just yet. But the new plan seems to be working for now.

Is Frodo getting the stripe of adult type hair down his back yet? I noticed tonight that Greta is getting hers. It's lovely straight, super black hair which makes me excited.

Congrats on getting back into obedience. I think that's great and I am sure it will really booster Phoenix's ego too. And we can say "hi" at dog shows.

Heidi Dahlin said...

I fed raw for eight years, but it was my adult Pems and I was planning on waiting until Frodo got big boy teeth to give him a full wing. One thing I heard others do was take the wing or neck and chop it up with a large butcher knife. It was basically a mangled mass of meat and bone. The cubes I feed are all ground up and I guess I could make my own since I have a meat grinder attachment, but it is easier to count cubes.

I just noticed the racing stripe, too. It is interesting to feel it getting wider.

Elbeepem said...

Ahem...Don't tell Denali that Phoenix owns all of the toys in the World. She is under the impression that they are hers, and always has been!