Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lean, Mean, Eating Machine

I started Frodo on a big-boy diet. No more frozen raw cubes--he got real chicken that was well-pulverized. I gave him two wings and a neck, plus a few bits of liver. I turned around and I swear it was no more than 15 seconds and his bowl was empty! He sat expectantly (he has to sit before I will give him food) and in the spirit of Oliver Twist pled, "More, please". Meanwhile, Phoenix, who would prefer her food in a neater format, worked on a half of a back for 10 minutes.

I bought whole fryers on sale and they work out well for the three dogs: Wallace and Phoenix share the back and Frodo gets the wings and neck. Dave and I need to up our chicken consumption since we can't eat two breasts and two thighs in one setting. I also trim the bones off the breasts for future dog consumption.

1 comment:

starrynights said...

Interesting that you pulverize the chicken for Frodo. I just give Greta the wings and/or part of a turkey back as is and she crunches it down with no problems. The backs take her a little longer and provide more chewing satisfaction. I am really glad to have her back on a raw diet. Her poops are so much less smelly. Yay!