Sunday, March 1, 2009

Achilles Ears


Sorry the picture isn't very good, but Frodo continues to vex me in the ear department. I tape them up in the evening, and the next day when I come home from work, he has tattered shreds hanging from his ears. I think he is trying out as an extra for Les Miserables while I am at work.

I have finally found a method that works to keep the tape on Frodo for more than a day. I use foam rollers with the hard part taken out. I wrap the ear around the roller and secure it with 2" 3M paper tape. After wrapping the entire ear, I wrap it with athletic tape. I then tape across both ears. This seems to stay on for 2-4 days and his ears don't get irritated. I thought this last time that I had "up" ears, but after a day they wilted again. 

Frodo weighed in at 20 lbs last week at his last-shot vet visit. Just like Clifford, the Big Red Dog, Frodo keeps growing. I suspect he is part moose.


2 comments:

starrynights said...

It's not just Frodo. Greta's are doing the exact same thing. I have had to resort to duct tape again as anything else was lasting less than 12 hours. Plus, she spends a lot more time outside with the "big dogs" now and all the wet weather was causing the tape to slide right off.

It's a pain, I know, but just think how handsome Frodo will look when his big beautiful ears are finally up! ;-)

Elbeepem said...

Wow...I had NO idea that getting the ears to stay up could be such a project. Evidently I've been really lucky to have had two Cardi puppies with "The Good Kind of Ears." Sage's ears never required additional taping after Carolyn did it for his trip home. They drooped a little from time to time, but always bounced back and now they're clearly "up" to stay!

Good luck. At least the photos will be good blackmail material for the future when Frodo wants to bring a girlfriend home to meet you! :-)